Post Festival Blues

I'm back in Clewiston monitoring nesting birds on Herbert Hoover Dike.  Not so exciting, but I did make a very birdy stop on the way down.  In twelve minutes I recorded 34 species of birds on Bluefield Road south of SR 70 in extreme western St. Lucie County.  A male Painted bunting flew across the road signaling that it was time to stop.  I got out and got my target, Tufted titmouse.  This was new for me in St. Lucie County.  This species is common and widespread, except in southeast Florida where you must search the western edges of the counties in the hope of finding one.  I have them now in 64 of 67 counties.  Martin, Palm Beach, and Broward remain.  Broward has a few where the Big Cypress ecosystem spills into the Micosukee Reservation.  Access is difficult, but maybe someday.  Martin and Palm Beach are very difficult for this species.

Comments

  1. Hi David, I enjoy your blog and I would like to subscribe, but it seems there is no RSS feed available. I wonder if you would consider changing this? There is info here: http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42662.

    I'm a birder in Volusia County and I enjoy following other Florida bloggers.

    Congrats on getting TUTI in a tough county. When I lived in the Chicago area we had a similar situation with this species. We once visited a nature center just over the border in Wisconsin. Upon entry into the center, we were immediately asked, "Are you here to see the Tufted Titmouse?" :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment