Thursday, February 6, 2014

12 Days of Plan B's

A glimpse into my mind:

Day 2 and Day 3 swirling around in my brain.  Day 2 on February 9th, I would do STA 5 to Sanibel to Fort DeSoto.  Meh.  I didn't have a great feeling about that one.  I couldn't help but think that the targets at STA 5 (kingbirds, whistling-ducks, kites, etc.) would be there later.  I want to include Neotropic cormorant and LaSagra's flycatcher in the year, but I only planned to do Miami and southeast Florida on Day 6 (probably June 1).  Also, I wanted to work Daytona Beach Shores into a route.  My truck stepped in to save the day.  It's troubles made it impossible for me to scout STA 5 properly.  Eureka!  I can skip STA 5 this time, get the rarities in Sanibel area in the morning, head up to Fort DeSoto for a few rarities, and bolt across to Merritt Island NWR for the White-winged scoter and Long-tailed duck then up to Daytona Beach Shores for rare gulls.  STA 5 will be deferred to Day 3, again on the 9th.  Afterward, I plan to head over to Wakodahatchee Wetlands for Neotropic cormorant and down to Miami to hopefully get Nashville warbler and LaSagra's flycatcher then maybe some cowbirds at Larry's place and off to Coastal Prairie Trail for Black rail, and maybe Saltmarsh sparrow, Short-eared owl, Lesser nighthawk, and hopefully Violet-green swallow.

Scouting will determine if I spend more time in Sanibel and skip Fort DeSoto or even if I skip MINWR and Daytona Beach Shores.  The next couple days will reveal a lot.  The plan may even change during the day.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment