Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival Day 2

Day two is partly finished.  The field trip is done and now I pack to go up to the festival HQ for some schmoozing, get our motel room, and get my packet so I can be official.

The field trip to St. Sebastian River Preserve went well.  A few new birds were heard at least.  I heard an Eastern bluebird, unusual but regular on the preserve, and several Chipping sparrows.  Bachman's sparrows were singing and calling today.  One posed briefly on a pine log before taking cover.  Others were less cooperative.  Brown-headed nuthatches were sitting so long in one place that we were able to put them in the scope!

This time we had time for Stick Marsh parking lot where we had stunning views of breeding plumage Roseate spoonbills and a brilliantly camouflaged Limpkin hiding in the brown vegetation.  It's brown feathers with white spots made it virtually impossible to see in the dappled light.

Cap it off with another great meal at Marsh Landing and you have another great day of Florida birding!

Now, I pack and head up to HQ to get our motel, schmooze a little, and pick up my registration packet. Tomorrow I help lead the Central Florida Specialties trip.

Comments