County Listing Goals

Cooper's Hawk - Illusive in Columbus Co.
Some time ago a goal was set to see 100 species or more in every one of Florida's 67 counties. Bruce Neville may have been the first to come up with this idea in Florida, or perhaps Ron Smith. Only a couple people, including Bruce, Ron, David Goodwin, and perhaps John Hintermister even kept lists for every county in the state. Some time around 2007, I managed to be the first to make it to 100 in every county. Very shortly after that, Ron managed to be the first to make it to 101 in every county (I was still at 100 in two counties, including far away Holmes). An excruciatingly long time after that, I was the first to make it to 102 in every county.
At some point along the way, Goodwin, came up with a secondary goal of getting 200 species in more than half the counties in Florida. I managed to hit that mark a while back.
I may have finally found an unsurmountable challenge. In a twist of the original century goal, I decided I wanted to amass a list of 100 species that I have seen in every county in Florida. At the time I had only five. The flicker today makes 64, but the next 36 will be very difficult. In some cases, it is just a matter of time. Adding Barred owl in Pinellas and Cooper's hawk in Columbus will add these species to the list. Others have proven remarkably difficult. Finding shrike or pigeon in Liberty has been near impossible. Finding a gull of any kind in Holmes or Calhoun is more problematic than one would think.
Thinking back to Goodwin's twist on the century goal, I decided I wanted to have a list of 200 species that I have seen in over half the counties in Florida. I now have 199 species on that list. The woodcock in St Johns this morning moved this species to 33 counties, one more and it will be over half the counties. Redhead, Virginia Rail, Sandwich tern, Gray kingbird, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak are all right there at 33. Sandwich terns may be tapped out as I have seen them in most coastal counties and they rarely stray inland. kingbird and grosbeak will be back in a few months. Woodcock, Redhead, and Virginia Rail, are all around this winter. One of them will likely be #200. When and where remain to be seen.

Comments