What I'm doing next year

Counting birds...
Thanks Elliot William Schunke, now I have something else to obsess about.  Here's what I'm doing next year (among many other things, of course.)

Do you want to do a big year but do not have enough time? A few of us Tallahasseans are playing a game this upcoming year (2014) and would like to extend the challenge to the rest of the state. So, in the holiday spirit, here is the "Twelve Day Big Year" (TDBY).

This competition is designed to encourage you to see as many species of birds in Florida as possible during a single calendar year, however, the amount of effort is limited to 12 days.

RULES:

1. You are only allowed to add species to your TDBY list if they are observed on one or more of your designated days

2. You can have a maximum of 12 designated days in your TDBY.

3. No month can have more than one designated day in it.

4. You must designate each of your days before the day begins (midnight), preferably announced publicly either here or onwww.flbirding.com

6. Only species observed between midnight and 11:59:59 pm of your designated days count toward your TDBY.

7. Only species observed in Florida or in Florida waters (pelagics) count toward your TDBY.

8. Each species must be ABA countable.

9. Heard only birds do count.

That's about it ... join the fun!


I can't let the gauntlet just sit there.  I don't have the time, interest, or resources to do another Florida Big Year, but this, I can handle.  Just one day a month, strategic planning in a way I have never done before, incidental county listing?  I'm in!

Oh, I'll have a birding related post later today, after our traditional Christmas Birding with the Meyers later today.

Comments