MINWR CBC 2013 12 17

One more CBC down, way down in terms of numbers if birds.  Three counts and the individuals count has been down in all three.  Today I was in Territory 1 of the MINWR CBC, a territory I have covered since 1986.  The Oak Hammock area has been steadily declining in winter birds although it still wracks up the birds in fall migration.  I have not seen a Hermit thrush there in many winters and the Black-thorated green warblers we used to see seem to have died.  Numbers of birds in other spots in the area were down as well.  I did manage a couple flocks of Cedar waxwings and a Chipping sparrow, both species are sometimes difficult to find on this count.

Tomorrow, I bird for work in Moore Haven, then trek up to Melrose for their CBC the next day.  Then Zellwood, and Econ before a day off and the Aripeka-Bayport CBC.

Comments